Travel delays

This is where I slept last night.

As you can see this is neither my bed, nor Scott’s bed, both of which are places I prefer to sleep. This bed is in the Quality Inn and Suites in Charlotte, NC.

Did I mention that I got to enjoy this luxury for about 3 1/2 hours before I had to head to the airport again?

The severe thunderstorms in the Southeast wrecked havoc on my journey home from Florida. My flight from Gainesville was grounded for 1 1/2 hours, which should have been fine, as my layover was nearly three hours long … however the flight took about 2 1/2 hours (though it normally is only an hour). I just barely missed my connecting flight (though by the time we finally found a parking space at the gate I had really missed my flight). So I got rebooked for an early morning flight and found myself a hotel room (with a generous 10% discount from US Air – please note my sarcasm) with free shuttle service to and from the airport.

I think I might have waited about 1 1/2 hours to get on a shuttle to take me to the hotel. I have no idea how many stranded passengers there were last night, but I think ALL of them were trying to get to Quality Inn and Suites. Then there was the 45 minute line to check-in.

By the time I got to the room (around 1:30 am) I looked and felt like this.

Then I scrounged for some food, as all I had eaten all day was a banana and a cobb salad.

This is what I found.

It was not my finest meal.

What an ordeal. I don’t usually have lots of travel delays and the whole thing was exhausting. With the exception of one minor meltdown (shortly after I realized I was missing my connection) that Scott was kind enough to deal with, I tried to stay patient and even-tempered. I mean, there was very little I could do and so many people were in the same boat as I was. I felt especially bad for all of the service people who had to deal with massive crowds of angry, tired and frustrated travelers.

I tried to think of all the good things that happened while I was in Florida this weekend.

Like hanging up my coat and not touching it until I had to leave.


Blue skies and 85 degree weather.


Margaritas on a Saturday afternoon, enjoyed outside on a patio.


Flowers that bloom in the end of February.


Working at my new favorite coffee shop/bar, The Bull.


Pizza and drinks at Satchels.


And spending lots of time in Scott’s screened in porch with Gilderoy, the resident little lizard.

It was a lovely weekend.

Well worth all of the travel hassles.

(But let’s hope the travel gods are smiling down on me today).


One response to “Travel delays

  1. Hi cousin. I flew from Wenatchee to Seattle last weekend. It was maybe a 25 minute flight. It had been some time since I had traveled anywhere by plane. What a production. Just dealing with security was enough for me. I only had one child in tow and the flights were on time and uncrowded. In general, it was an “uncomplicated” trip. I cannot imagine what it would be like if there were some type of delay or complication. Here’s hoping your next journey is more swift!

    (fun seeing your life and hearing about your adventures through this little space 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s